Summary: This blog is for CIOs, CTOS, project managers and other business owners responsible for making decisions for their company. It highlights the benefits of using Amazon DynamoDB to design their next business application. Nuclay can help you design and implement your Amazon DynamoDB solution effortlessly.
Not everything is always as it seems. Take Amazon’s DynamoDB, for example. It’s not just a database. It’s a fully managed NoSQL database platform. DynamoDB enables you to build highly available and scalable web applications and web services, backed by an extremely reliable and performing data store.
Amazon has put a lot of thought into the features of DynamoDB and put them in there to solve problems or compete with other solutions. But what are the reasons you should use DynamoDB? Here we will cover the needs and benefits of choosing DynamoDB for your next project. Let us start with the basics first.
Table of Content
–> What is DynamoDB?
–> Learn the Benefits of Cloud Database Services
–> DynamoDB Statistics
–> Why Should Companies Use DynamoDB?
–> Different Technical Scenarios where DynamoDB is the Right Fit
–> Nuclay Solutions – An Ideal Partner
–> Wrapping It Up
What is DynamoDB?
Amazon DynamoDB is a fully managed, fast, and frequently updated cloud database service that enables you to offload the administrative burdens of operating and scaling a relational database to AWS. With DynamoDB, there are no servers to manage, so you can focus on your application instead of spending time and energy managing databases. All features of DynamoDB are available on-demand and pay-as-you-go.
DynamoDB is a NoSQL database that makes it easy to create tables and store your data. You can scale up or scale down your throughput capacity without downtime or performance degradation. You can even use the AWS Management Console to monitor resource utilization and performance metrics.
DynamoDB backs up your data for free, allowing you to create and keep full table-level backups for long-term retention or archival purposes. You can even create instant automated backups for your Amazon DynamoDB tables at no additional cost. DynamoDB allows you to enable point-in-time recovery to restore a table to any point in time during the last 35 days.
Now that you have some idea about what DynamoDB is all about, let us look further into the business benefits of DynamoDB.
Learn the Benefits of Cloud Database Services
Cloud database service like DynamoDB is one of the major new features that all companies can try to implement in their way of doing business. DynamoDB is a challenge for organizations to get used to because of its unknown procedures. However, big players and businesses are already using DynamoDB to their advantage.
You can derive many business benefits from DynamoDB and similar cloud database services. They include, but are not limited to:
- Reduction In Overall Cost: Imagine not having to worry about how you’re going to scale your database. Imagine being able to add capacity whenever you need data storage, at a price that keeps your budget in check.
DynamoDB makes this possible. Just set the size of your AWS DynamoDB table and our database grows automatically or shrinks in real-time, as your data set expands or contracts. AWS completely manages DynamoDB, so you get the scalability you need with no upfront investments in hardware, software or infrastructure.
- Better Business Performance: DynamoDB speeds up your applications for better business performance, so you can achieve faster insights and higher productivity. DynamoDB delivers results with the speed and power you need to create innovative products, simplify IT management, and drive business agility.
- Higher Return on Investment: Thousands of customers use DynamoDB to power their applications that provide a higher return on investment (ROI) than both relational and legacy non-relational databases.
- Enterprise-Ready: If you’re building a business-critical application, you need a database that supports reliability and scalability. DynamoDB delivers on these features and so much more! With high availability and single-digit millisecond latency at the 99.9 percentile, DynamoDB helps you power your applications at a massive scale.
- Outsource Expertise: DynamoDB is a perfect fit for businesses of any size, especially for IT support. With DynamoDB, you can outsource a cloud provider to save money. You can pay them as you go for the skills and expertise you need.
This helps reduce overhead by keeping your company working efficiently, all the while ensuring you have the right team in place to meet your goals. You can also hire experts temporarily to help plan and execute short-term initiatives without incurring additional headcount.
- Reduces Time To Market: Amazon designed DynamoDB especially to make it easier for developers to create applications that deliver functionality quickly, on a global scale. DynamoDB is blazing fast and reduces the complexity of provisioning and managing infrastructure. This helps your product launch faster than ever.
Here are some facts and numbers helping you see the influence and future of DynamoDB in the actual business world:
* According to a research study by Dataintelo.com, USD 3.5 Billion was the value of the NoSQL database market in 2019. They are expecting the revenue to reach USD 21 Billion by 2026. This is increasing at a CAGR of 31.4% during the forecast period 2020 to 2026.
* According to DB-engines, DynamoDB ranks #16 in overall popularity in database management systems. It ranks #2 in the list of both, document stores and key-value stores. The research also depicts the growing popularity of DynamoDB in a graph. Here is a snapshot of the trend diagram:
* According to Statista, 5.5% of all software developers want to gain skills about DynamoDB in early 2020.
* According to research by Slintel, Amazon DynamoDB has a market share of 11.22% in the NoSQL databases market. It competes with 14 other competitors in the same category.
* As per the research by Enlyft, the top industries that use Amazon DynamoDB for NoSQL databases are Computer Software (33%) and Information Technology and Services (10%).
* According to the same research, 61% of DynamoDB customers are in the United States and 8% are in the United Kingdom. This data is considering the 10,639 companies that are using DynamoDB.
Why Should Companies Use DynamoDB?
There are many reasons for companies to use DynamoDB, including:
- >> Easy Administration: The DynamoDB console allows you to administer your databases easily, run backups, take snapshots, and perform other tasks—without assuming the risk of deploying on-premises hardware and software.
You can even define your database structure using the Amazon DynamoDB console, then simply create and upload your data to get started.
- >> No Servers to Manage: With Amazon DynamoDB, you don’t have to worry about managing any associated infrastructure, or provisioning and maintaining servers in your environment. Eliminating those tasks from your workload gives you time to focus on your application.
- >> On-demand Capacity Mode: Dynamically increase your infrastructure capacity with minimal fuss. Add or subtract resources within minutes, not months. No more over-provisioning and no more upgrades or server refreshes. You don’t have to prepare for big spike inactivity, you can just handle it when it happens—and grow with confidence into the future.
- >> Automatic Database Management: DynamoDB is reliable and fast so you can get results quickly and leave the database administration to AWS. With the simple and effective management console, you can easily automate backups, implement online schema changes, be ready for global distribution and get elastic scalability within a few clicks.
- >> AWS Services Integration: DynamoDB connects seamlessly with other AWS services, so you can build your web and mobile applications at speed. With the fully managed AWS cloud platform, you can work at ease knowing that your applications are always up and running.
- >> Highly Reliable: Amazon has designed DynamoDB for one purpose – so that it just works. DynamoDB replicates data automatically across multiple availability zones, continuously backed up, and guaranteed 99.9% uptime.
The multi-AZ capabilities protect your data from hardware failures by providing automatic and manual mechanisms for replicating data between AZs.
- >> Ease of Backups: DynamoDB handles all the housekeeping of backups and software replication. Wait less time for backups to finish. No more competing with other services, for instance, savings or snapshots.
Backups are fast and you can schedule them to run automatically. With DynamoDB’s fully-managed backups, you can rest easy knowing your data is safe and fully scalable.
- >> Highly Secure: Don’t waste time worrying about backups anymore. Amazon DynamoDB can automatically back up your database. No more worrying about software replication or managing your backups.
You won’t have to worry about problems with backups during peak load times or slowdowns because of more traffic on your website or app. When you work with AWS, you don’t have to care about the technical problems or the servers. It all runs behind the scenes.
- >> Disaster Recovery: Power outages, hardware failures, scheduled maintenance – DynamoDB gives you the flexibility to fail over to a replica in the event of these problems. Your database restores within seconds of an outage. This can save you from an expensive disaster.
Different Technical Scenarios where DynamoDB is the Right Fit
Here is a list of scenarios where DynamoDB can prove beneficial to your organization:
- 1) Where old database systems cannot handle our ever-increasing volumes of data.
- 2) If you are actively working on developing an application or service.
- 3) Where your company is working with high workloads of an online transaction processing (OLTP). DynamoDB provides high-performance reads and writes, which means you can expect a performance that is effectively constant across widely varying loads.
- 4) You are deploying a mission-critical application that must be highly available at all times.
- 5) If you are already understaffed to manage your database and need to reduce the workload of your existing team.
- 6) If you want to be sure that your backup strategy is reliable and works, even if something goes wrong.
- 7) You are looking for a solution that gives you a better analysis of database performance.
Nuclay Solutions – An Ideal Partner
Nuclay is an Amazon Consulting Partner that offers professional services specializing in best practices and proven approaches for Amazon DynamoDB outstanding performance with durability, flexibility, and high availability. Our deep understanding of Amazon’s technology and the experience gained from developing solutions at a global scale makes it possible to architect and implement projects to meet your business requirements. The best part is that our team supports you in all aspects of the implementation process, from initial design to production support.
Wrapping It Up
There is enough information to see the business benefits of using Amazon DynamoDB for your next project. It is highly reliable and benefits your organization regardless of your industry type or size. Nuclay is an ideal partner to help you fasten the transition to DynamoDB. For more help and queries, you can contact us at email@example.com.